We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ukiah



The Ukiah is frequently referred to as the Reverse Haiku

I figured there was no better source for describing this form than it's Inventor, Robert Ropars, so here it is.



A modest proposal – a new form of poetry the “ukiah”
Posted in On  July 4, 2009 by robertropars.

We who write, and write poetry specifically, know the haiku. A challenging form, it requires the writer to create a poem as follows:


Traditionally, this Japanese form is best done in such a way that it’s an expression of zen. Often nature-based, the haiku could have multiple meanings/interpretations so part of the enjoyment is finding the meaning in this simple elegant form of poetry.

My idea is the opposite of the haiku. I was thinking it should be a “Roparsku” but my lack of ego (and my very wise girlfriend) kept me grounded. So since I’m talking about the opposite, then reversed it would a “Ukiah.” Now searching around online I see some people have played with variations (calling this a “reverse haiku”), but only changed the syllabic construction. I think a true “reversal” would also take into account the rhyme aspect. In addition, this adds an extra level of challenge to the endeavor.

It would be composed of:
•3 lines in length
•rhyming
•lines 1 and 3 contain 7 syllables
•line 2 contains 5 syllables

Haiku example:
Winds blowing lightly
Leaves whispering in the dark
Stars twinkling above

Ukiah example:
Leaves are drifting in the night
The stars are so bright
Shivering I hold you tight

What do you think? Crazy? Stupid? Fun? Challenging? Try it out and leave me your best examples as comments.

There you go folks, you can respond to the poet at the link below.T



No comments:

Post a Comment