We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Rondeau Redoublé

The rondeau redoublé is not an easy form to write. It uses only two rhymes throughout, repeats whole lines, and has an awkward repeated half-line at the end. Let's look at an example.

The first stanza is the key to the whole poem. Its four lines reappear in turn as the final lines of the next four stanzas, and the first part of the first line reappears again as the half-line at the very end. Each stanza rhymes either abab or baba. For the sixth stanza, either is possible.

To write one of these, start with the final half-line, then do the opening stanza, and you're half-way there.

Complication
The blessed Malcovati, curse him, tells us that one of the two rhyme groups in a rondeau redoublé must be masculine and the other feminine. (The example he gives appears not to satisfy this rule - or perhaps my French is not good enough to appreciate the way in which it does.) Anyway, if he is to be believed - and he usually is - the above is not a true example of the form after all. It still seems good enough to me, though.


 This seems as good a description as any I found, and the added info regarding complication allows us to ponder how formal we want to be with our writes. 

Stanzaic: Five quatrains plus a Quintet
Meter:      Iambic Pentameter
Rhyme pattern:
A1,B1,A2,B2 - b,a,b,A1 - a,b,a,B1 - b,a,b,A2 - a,b,a,B2 - b,a,b,a,(A1)

Example poem

Now is Good, Eternity is a Concept (Rondeau Redoublé)

Religions I can't sell. They're man created,
they're based on fear; they're doing very well.
One can be saved by doing what's mandated.
I don't need heaven; you can keep your hell.

I need no virgin births to make things swell.
I need no virgins, promised and post-dated.
I chuckle at the tales tall fables tell.
Religions I can't sell. They're man created.

All bigotry lets hate get concentrated,
as they recruit each other's clientele.
Religions preach; with doubters oft berated.
They're based on fear; they're doing very well.

The golden rule makes common sense; I shall
embrace that while not notions fabricated.
I need no saving yet on streets some yell
One can be saved by doing what's mandated.

I've others and I've been appreciated
The unknown does not bother me, nor quell
my peace. This life's unfolding, unabated.
I don't need heaven- you can keep your hell.

If "Let's pretend" placates you, rings your bell
and banishes unfounded fears created
by preachers touting everlasting hell,
and brings  you peace, please believe, be placated.
Religions I can't sell.

© Lawrencelaot - July 31, 2013


Visual Template






No comments:

Post a Comment