We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Villonnet

A Villonnet is a hybrid of the Villanelle and the Sonnet. It has the Iambic Pentameter of both, but holds the four-stanza/line structure of the sonnet, while utilizing the two-line rhyme nature of the villanelle. The final stanza replaces the sonnet couplet with a typical villanelle tercet.

The Villonnet is another hybrid form created by D. Allen Jenkins. This is a recent invented form which is said to be a cross between a Villanelle andSonnet.

The Villonet is:
  • a poem in 15 lines, made up of 3 quatrains followed by a tercet.
  • metric, iambic pentameter.
  • rhymed, A¹bbA² cddc effe A¹bA² or A¹xxA² bxxb cxxc A¹xA² x being unrhymed.
  • NOTE: Jenkins also used A1xxA2  axxA1 axxA2

  • L1 is repeated as L13 and L4 is repeated as L15.

Thanks to Judi Van Gorder for the resource at PMO


Example poem

Rooted in Love (Villonnet)

A spell was cast to keep me from my bride 
Our lives could not be taken, we were changed; 
Our molecules were vastly rearranged. 
And I could break the spell if I but tried. 

I metamorphed, becoming half a man 
My wizard gave mobility to me, 
and said, "You must now find your sweetheart's tree. 
Touch it and you'll become as you began" 

I searched the valleys- climbed up many hill, 
I followed rumors sent from other trees; 
and pheromones relayed by helpful bees, 
and when I found her, she was lovely still. 

A spell was cast to keep me from my bride 
The one who cast the spell had been deranged
and I could break the spell if I but tried. 

© Lawrencealot - Oct. 20, 2013



Visual Template

No comments:

Post a Comment