We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Loose Sapphic


There are variations of the Sapphic Stanza and I have chosen the Loose Sapphic form created by Marie Marshall. The form is composed over four lines, the first three being hendecasyllabic and the fourth being pentasyllabic.

The focus is on syllabic meter rather than accentual giving the poet more room to explore poetical device and grammatical schema within the verse structure. From the creator's own examples I have found the poems to be more vibrant and dramatic than their strictly metric counterparts.

Using 'X' to represent each syllable the schema of the Loose Sapphic form can be shown as thus:


X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X

Example Poem

Lady Bird Adrift




















My intent to fly by-and-by was boosted.
I'm content to flutter by the butterfly
effect.  Some butterfly in Balboa flapped
boldly days ago.

A seagull here an eagle there added puffs
against the calm.  A heated hillside thermal
energy aggregated puff-puff forces-
calm contingencies.

I'll leave Louise and Lester nibbling aphid
nosh, and catch this seed in transit through garden's
wide expanse.  I may deplane any time or
merely take a chance.

I'm smarter than your average bug because a
beetle, not a bug be I.  This subterfuge
could save my life-- wasps find me tasty and look
to see just me fly. 

© Lawrencealot - June 26, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment