We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Awdl Gywydd


Awdl Gywydd
Type: structure, meter, rhyme, stanzaic.

Description: Pronounced ‘owdl gow-widd’. Seven syllable quatrains with end rhymes and couplet binding. Welsh origin.

Schema:

xxxxxxa
xxaxxxb (a can be 3rd or 4th syllable)
xxxxxxc
xxcxxxb (c can be 3rd or 4th syllable)

Mid-line rhymes a and c can be various forms of rhyme but the end of line rhyme b should be perfect rhyme.

Stanza Length: quatrain.


Example Poem


















Midnight Ride When Full of Beer

At the game I took a chance
then at the dance I drank more.
After the twelfth beer of mine
I was supine on the floor.

They gave me hot coffee sips
which burned my lips but woke me
up so I could drink some more.
and made me sure want to pee.

After irrigating long,
the jukebox song seemed too loud.
I had the bartender send
beer to a friend in the crowd.

We both drank more; both got drunk.
Who would have thunk?  Just on beer?
When the bar closed I was stoned
so help was phoned, have no fear.

"You can't drive.  There's not a chance.
The Beerbulance is waiting.
Along with the sodden maid
we're all afraid you're dating."

 © Lawrencealot - February 14, 2013




Visual Template



No comments:

Post a Comment