- Miniature is a verse form
that is a kind of contradiction of syllabic and metric form. All but 2
lines, begin and end on stressed syllables which would imply catelectic
trochaic meter. It also has an unusual feature of requiring the 5th
syllable of the 1st line be rhymed with the 1st syllable of the 2nd line,
it was created by Margaret Ball
The Miniature is:
- a decastich, a poem in 10 lines.
- syllabic, 7-5-7-5-7-6-7-6-7-7 syllables per line. All but L6 & L8 begin and end on a stressed syllable. L6 & L8 have feminine endings.
- rhyme x a x a x b x b c c, x being unrhymed.
- composed with the 5th syllable of L1, rhymed with the 1st syllable of L2
My Thanks to Judi Van Gorder for the wonderful resource at PMO
My example poem
Mission Statement (Miniature)
Moons unlike the moon of earth
soon will be our fare.
Ships exceeding speed of light
Will propel us there.
Men from earth will colonize
planets fit for living
We'll find other beings there
giving gifts worth giving.
Know that as our skills increase
So do hopes we'll spread but peace.
© Lawrencealot - April 3, 2014