We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/poetryforms/.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Swap Ottava



Created by Discoveria of Allpoetry.com.


The form has an Ottava Rima framework in which the sections of the first line are swapped to become the last line of the stanza.

A Double Swap Ottava
requires that technique to be applied to two of the early lines, normally Line 1 and 2, to become the closing couplet of the octet.


Minimum length 8 Lines, no maximum
Meter: Iambic pentameter
Rhyme: ababaabcc

Visual Template

Example Poem:



Synchonicty   (Swap Ottava)

A random meet- a gift of God's great plan.
She stepped into the bus I seldom take. 
I looked at her is how it all began. 
I found her cute, I was not on the make. 
My glance became a stare as a glance can. 
Our eyes met, then moved on for manner's sake. 
She looked again ,and smiled; the smile was sweet.
A gift of God's great plan-- a random meet. 

It is likely by chance: meeting a mate. 
This woman's smile was brief, beguiling,  true. 
Not just her lips, but her eyes were more bait. 
I'd hoped that my face invited her too. 
My shyness abated... let me test fate. 
There may be no chance if I now eschew 
risking rejection.  I'll ask her to dance. 
Meeting a mate: it is likely by chance. 

One out of three: seems like the odds are fine 
This lady gave me her number and said, 
"I think I'd like that, but first let us dine". 
A note for ladies... you take charge instead. 
Meet where you can leave if  things misalign. 
'Cause likely, like me, guys want you in bed.
Results run the gamut, but try, be free. 
Seems like the odds are fine: one out of three. 


 (c) Lawrencealot - April, 2012


Example of Double Swap Ottava



Social Schism  (Double Swap Ottava)

Some do less, some do more to help the whole. 

all members knew the score when tribes were small. 
Great hunters, all the members would extoll. 
Their prowess was a benefit for all. 
The tribes were healthy when each played their role, 
Our tribe will fail if no one heeds that call. 
When tribes were small all members knew the score. 
To help the whole,  some do less, some do more. 

  © Lawrencealot - January 2, 2013 



Visual Template




No comments:

Post a Comment